Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Karma

I know you've all heard at one time or more in you life. A shrill, screeching voice, the voice of a woman at the end of her rope, desperate, frantic, beseeching of God to send down a lightening bolt and strike you dead kind of angry, our mothers. When you have done one of those gazillion things you do that irritate the hell out of them and they can't stand it anymore, they are forced to resort to THE CURSE. "I HOPE WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS THEY TURN OUT JUST LIKE YOU ARE NOW, THEN YOU'LL KNOW HOW I FEEL" usually followed by a lot of garbled, spittle throwing, foaming at the mouth name calling. Times that by the three or four of us kids she is raising at the time and is it any wonder the woman resorts to drinking now and again.

The FUNNY thing about those curses is though, they come to pass. Damn it. The really scarry part is we really do become our parents as we age. I am sad to say girls, we really do. I have recently resorted to the old curse trick myself. Here is a funny story.

My son, nearly thirty, comes over to do his laundry one day (a weekly chore). He strikes up conversation in is usually blunt way, jumps in with both feet first. "so mom, how do you feel about being a grandma?" Once my ears quite buzzing and the room spinning I asked, "what are you saying?" He then starts on this long bitch session about how he is not ready to have a kid, he's not sure if he wants to be a dad at all, that he is not sure if his girlfriend is the woman he wants to be with for the rest of his life, he doesn't really love her.....blah,blah,blah" Then he says "she's missed a couple of months now and I think I'll make her get a pregnancy test"

So I stammered (still in shock) "weren't you both taking precautions" They have after all been together for more than a year and there had been no previous scares. He then admits " No we weren't, we didn't think she could get pregnant cause she is really irregular" At this point in the conversation (albiet a one sided one since I was stunned into silence) I shamefully admit to shouting " you absolutely do not want a child, BUT you took no precautions !!!"

Dumb ass !!! Now I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, scored fairly high in an IQ test, his father, god rest his soul, was far from retarded, so what the hell my sons excuse for his idiocy is, I have no clue. He was a smart, happy, polite child, just ask Pam. Then he turned 13. It was like he went to bed one night the epitomy of a twelve year old boy, sports, video games and food, lots of food, and woke up this surly, beligerant, in your face, not coming out of my room, teenager and it was downhill from there for a long time.

I thought the past couple of years he was showing some signs of maturity. I could actually catch glimpses of the young boy I used to know turned into a man, only glimpses mind you, but it gve me hope. Then he spews out sexist pig swill, like "I thought she was taking care of it "
Argggggg!!!!

I want to take something really heavy and smack him upside his thick head. So now we (I) sit and wait and worry. I do not want them to be pregnant ( I know that makes me sound like a really bad person) I admit to being one of the most selfish people I know. Sue me. I have my reasons for keeping my fingers and toes crossed, hoping it is a false alarm. Please God !

Did my mother go through all this. It explains so much that didn't make sense when I was a kid. I wish she was still with us so I could apologize. ahahaha I bet she is chuckling with glee and satisfaction as she watches our lives unfold and we turn into our parents. Somebody get me a drink

1 comment:

Conky said...

shit now i want a damn drink!~