He ate the royal bread of kings,
His birthright was a quiet soul,
A healthy body clean and whole.
A battered hat of straw his crown,
His kingdom was a field of brown.
And there within his fair domain
He held the sceptre of his reign,
The seasons served him bed and board,
The sun and rain his overlord,
The germ of life in seed and flower,
The living symbols of his power.
He tilled the soil its wealth to find,
His field, the servant of mankind,
He felt the pulse of nature's blood,
And spoke the tongue she understood.
He dwelt in bondage fast, yet he
Was monarch of his destiny.
Edna Jaques 1952
I try sometimes to figure out just what it is about farming that keeps me slaving away. Even I know there are simpler ways to make a living. My conclusion is so far this.....it' in the genes.
Doing my genealogy and being lucky enough to have made contact with some great cousins who are also tracing our ancestors back in time, I have discovered one common thread through all 4 lines back into the 1500's in France, Ireland, England and Scotland, and that is, they all farmed.
Oh, as was typical of the time (pilgrims mostly) when they settled in the New World (N.America) they all tilled the soil, but had to perform other duties connected to the benefit of the colony. Some stood as Justice (sherriff) some as members of the court (like peers) others were tanners or blacksmiths, husbanders (animal caretaker) and the like. But they all farmed. Up through the ages , whether they lived on the island of Martha's Vineyard, as many did, or in the fertile states of Ohio and Indiana, whether they moved to Upper Canada (Ontario) to the county of Kent, they all had a connection to the land. How then, I ask you, can I deny, what generations of my family fought for the right to do. They sailed to a new continent with that dream. Farming. It's in the blood.
I am thinking seriously of using this blog to share a few stories about some of my ancestors and a few photo's along the way. Let me know what you think of the idea. Otherwise I will just bore you to tears with my everyday accounting of my life. See sample below......
Today Robert and I headed into town for milk and an appointment with the bank. Nothing serious.....I wanted to open a savings account for my Ebay addiction...I know you have heard me mention my flaw (one of many) before and soon I will elaborate. But not yet.....
We have a week old baby calf that is ill, he is septic (blood infection) his joints are swollen and he has gone blind. The Vet did not give us a good prognosis. But Robert is stubborn and intends to continue treating the calf. The poor little fellow (all 115 lbs of him) still has such a will to live. He nurses well and talks to his mommy. Robert has his temperature down now and we make him as comfy as possible. His mommy comes into the barn often to be with him, so we let her come and go as she pleases. I have real issues with any kind of sick baby. Those of you who know me well will know why. So I mostly offer Robert emotional support. Time will tell if the little guy makes it.
I am making beef stirfry for supper tonight....mmmmmmm my favorite.
and tomorrow is bread day and that burns up the whole morning. Worth the effort though as we get to eat homemade bread for two weeks after. Bun day is Saturday. Six dozen every two weeks. The guys (Robert and his friend Rick) usually scarff down the first dozen that day with a bowl of soup. Last Saturday I even baked peanut butter cookies 4 dozen. The guys ate a dozen and between that and Rick insisting he take some home for his kids, I had to make cookies again on Tuesday. hahahahah Robert has to have his treats. I don't know where he puts it because he is as thin as a reed. Bastard !!! whoops there goes my "suitable for minors" rating....
I am off to chop veggies now. Tune in again tomorrow, you never know what I'll be going on about.
Why is it that dogs can love you know matter what and family can't. I don't know. It's a mystery.

1 comment:
i think you should post whatever pops into your head....i look fwd to whatever it is
Post a Comment