Wednesday, May 03, 2006

BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE...


Be it ever so humble there's no place like home.

Awwwwwwe, practically everyone I know is moving.



Fern into her new house, Colleen soon into her new house as well, Sue is moving to a new town, Jen is moving to a new apartment and Roberts brother and his wife have sold thier farm for 2 million dollars and are looking for another one with more land base. (They got so much for thier place because it is close to Edmonton and is very rich, 8 feet deep in black loamy soil, close to the international airport. Prime development area right now. The city limits have been creeping closer and closer to them every year, our place is worth only a quarter of that, poorer soil and location, no big towns close by, even though we own 5 times more land)

I'm not moving, as much as I would like to. I find I am a wee bit envious. Oh I know you would argue with me that moving is anything but exciting, what with packing and cleaning and the other hundred and one details to take care of, but a part of you has to admit that there is a bit of a tingling anticipation of making the new place yours, nesting. Ya....I love that part. Putting this here , that there....the right picture in the right place, pick the right paint colours...I love doing that stuff.

We were suppose to get snow this past weekend, but not a flake fell. Not a drop of rain either. There is a total fire ban for our county already. I might have said that in a previous posting.
A neighbour two weeks ago had the hot bottom of thier burning barrel start some dry grass on fire and the resulting grass fire swept across three farms burnt nearly 200 acres. No buildings luckily were lost...the owners had garden hoses out spraying water, but fence posts burnt off and cattle got together. What a mess. The county sends fire trucks out and crews but the home owner pays the tab. It can run into thousands of dollars.

Robert and I a worry worts that way and never burn garbage or camp fires. We take our trash to the dump and recycle tons of stuff. My first husband nearly burnt down our old hip roof barn one spring trying to burn a pile of used plastic twine on a dry windy day (which is almost everyday here).

I am waiting for the signal for me to head out to the field and start seeding. It can't be over soon enought to suit me.

I started demolitioning my old pond/fountaian that never quite turned out the way I wanted. Robert bought me a pond kit for mothers day....groaaaaaaan....Oh nice you say....ya right....I have to do all the work myself...I have dug out 4 big oil drums full of gravel already and have siad to hell with the rest it can stay. I have a bit more clay to dig out so that the one end of the liner will fit right and then I have to pack more clay in at the other end to support a water fall. It is going to look so tacky when its done but he new I really wanted one, I just didn't want one in the same spot. But oh well. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. He just tries to make me happy.

To get back to the digging...so here I am standing in a hole 8 feet long, 6 feet wide and nearly four feet deep, cleaning out all the gravel that had surrounder the old tub I had sunken in this hole for my last water feature. I got enough gravel out that I could remove the tub and then the digging was easier. I shovelled the gravel into a 5 gallon pail and when I had all my pails full I lifted them up onto the brick patio and then climbed out of the hole and carried them over to the spot where I was storing the gravel. By the end of the afternoon I was bent over like an old lady. Thank god for the soaker tub and hot water. So yesterday I had a migrain and nothing got done. and today I am field bound, so again no work on the hole. There is sits this huge hole in my yard rocks piled all around it, waiting for two strong backs and weak mind shared between the two of us to get back to digging. and positioning the liner then hauling sand in the wheel barrow to back fill around the pond. Then I have to put all the big boulders back around the endge of the pond. If it doesn't work out..I will fill it with dirt and seed grass....ahahahaha I am so tired of landscaping already...It is just too hard a labor for an abused body with not much warranty left on it. When I get done on this side of the house it will be time to start the problem side with the bad door, once we get things dug up we will have to relandscape again. Ya gotta love it.

Have a great day everyone !

1 comment:

Conky said...

2 million!!!!!!! how truly UNFAIR hahahahahahha jesus. that stings i bet.

I bet yer new pond will be lovely...u always make amazing things...youre right though, so much work involved! blah