Monday, September 11, 2006

Mean While, Back at the Ranch...


Weaning time is here. Guilt trip time. Tearing young 700 lb. babies away from their mommies. Listening t0 them cry for a week, if we're lucky they lose thier voices and then it is only a hoarse rasping squeek and we can sleep through the night...otherwise the noise of the bellaring keeps us awake, even with all the windows closed. Two hundred calves bawling makes a lot of noise.

We don't hear the cows unless we have to go to the field where we leave them. We load the babies up in the trailer and haul them home that way if they escape they don't know how to get back to thier moms. and vice versa.

I always feel kinda mean but it is just part of the life here. The cows need a few months rest before having a new calf in January. She needs to build her body up again before heading into winter.

We are looking for alternate ways to sell the calves this year and are considering putting them in an online satelite cattle auction, they are becoming very popular since the cattle are not put under any stress until they are sold and shipping is arranged. We shall see.

We finished combining yesterday...... tada.

I ate a piece of Dairy Queen icecream cake and became quite ill. It was sooooooo sweet it made me gag....Our friend Norm cut the pieces way to big and I only ate a third of mine before I got ill. I really wanted a DQ fudge bar. I am not a big fan of ice cream anyway....and since I try not to eat sugar anymore I find things that have sugar in them, way too sweet.

Gotta go haul some yearling heifers out to pasture, so I'll post again soon and let you know how it goes. Yeeeeha !!!!

1 comment:

Conky said...

ugh no weaning babies sound good regardless of species....sad.

the satellite auction thing is VERY cool! cheaper too i bet!

im calling u this weekend b4 i lv for PR xo