dOkay, in the face of all that has been happening in ours lives lately( roberts dear sister in law having only weeks to live due to cancer and the same diagnosis for my cousin Bob) I have had to face up to some pretty bitter tasting facts.
One, the sole reason I am fat isn't because of all the numerous excuses I have been able to come up with over the years....it is solely down to the fact that I am just plain lazy. so there....I've laid it on the table and it isn't pretty. Not surprised are you, no, I didn't think so.
Secondly, I am getting old. you know a few years ago I could fool myself into thinking 45 wasn't that old. But the truth of the matter is it was the portal to the long or short (depending on genetics) slippery slope to qualifying for the seniors 10% discount at the local IGA grocery store the third tuesday of every month.
The grey hair I could cope with, I gave up colouring after I realized it was never the same shade twice. So I embraced my grey hair. My hairdresser now tells me that women would kill to have the white streaks(highlights) that I have in mine. Quite dramatic I'm told.
While I have always carried extra weight I had enough conciet to believe that at least it was all toned or muscle if you please. but you know what I've noticed lately and believe me I wasn't trying, no, rather it has been thrust upon me with the harsh light of reality....I AM getting old. My hair has lost it's natural curl (now it only curls with the help of chemicals) and my skin is looking more like the outside of an old worn out but well loved ladies handbag. Soft, kind of dry feeling, wrinkled, sagging and has lost that lustre of newness throw in a few scuffs and scapes and voila....your grannies old purse you found in the back of her closet. Next thing you know it'll be support hose and the smell of mothballs.
Third and lastly, I find hair where I've never had hair before. I have even noticed one of our friends having sprouted several hairs on the end of his nose...I am very tempted to ask permission to pull them out. but have as yet to work up the nerve Robert hopes I never do. But what's that all about anyway. Isn't it punishment enough just getting old....but to add insult to injury we have to lose what looks we had too. I mean isn't the horn of the rhinosaurous made of matted hair. Is that what's going on. My word, there is no justice in the world.
They say some of us will age gracefully and others won't go down without a fight. I am all over that one.....I may not have a choice in the matter but by God, it'll take me kicking and screaming.
Back up folks this isn't going to be pretty !
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
well u know...gibbled eye syndrome sucks but its better than cancer...hows that for some consolation....???
geez thanks you're a real mother teresa. just leave me to wallow in self pity for a while will ya.
sorry
Post a Comment