I have a question for you. Who, if not you, is the best person to decide what is good for you. You know, in your best interest. Shouldn't it be you. I mean, how can someone other than you know what is in your best interest.
I know you are thinking where is she going with this so I will tell you.
Shoes. Yup, that's it. It's all about shoes. Well, Shoe shopping to be precise.
I hate shopping for shoes. Always have, always will. Another one of those things I could blame on my mother...ahhahahaha and older sister....hahaha can't let her off the hook.
I have been cursed, not only with being short, stocky, zits (as a kid) and early puberty but I had the hardest to find shoes for feet in our family. I have a normal length foot but a high instep and high arch with a wide forefoot. really wide.
Most shoes are made to fit those little skinny "barbie" type feet, I mean who wears a B width shoe. As an adult some of my most horrible "shopping" memories besides the first bra fiasco are of shoe shopping. I was usually drug around from store to store by my mom and sister, who, both would have rather been anywhere but shopping with me and told me so at every opportunity. I was too fussy, my feet were too fat, what did I need pretty shoes for when I was so ugly (thanks sis) You know, that might all seem silly now as adults, but when you are a kid that kind of thing can go really deep. Those shopping traumas usually ended in me not getting any shoes, them yelling and screeching about the wasted time, me getting my back up and being shitty (cause we can't forget that I had a pretty big chip on my shoulder) and me walking around in runners with the sole flapping like the bill on a dead duck or wearing a pair of boys shoes because they made them wide enough. I did learn something from all those experiences though...
TO ABSOLUTELY LOATH SHOPPING FOR SHOES. I still have hard to fit feet. They are still wide in the front and high in the arch. No slim girly styled shoes for me, I have one pair of ladies dress shoes that I wear about once every three years, the rest of the time it is mens hikers and mens sandals. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing better than to be able to wear a slim, feminine pair of sandals or a nice suede slip on clog they just don't fit.
So now to the crux of my story..... I have wore out my favorite pair of reebok walking shoes after 540 miles on the treadmill (over a period of years) and now that I am back on the treadmill they are hurting my feet. I am all for grabbing a pair of mens runners from Walmart....but Robert is hell bent on taking me shoe shopping on thursday in edmonton. He says its for my own good. Do you see where I am going with the whole thing now.
I told him to go to hell, if I didn't want expensive shoes I didn't have to get them. He said uhuh...I was getting some and started phoning shoe stores in the city to make up a shopping plan (who had what kind and sizes) saves time when you drive for two hours to get there.
I told him if he loves me he wouldn't force me to do something I didn't want to. He said if I loved him I would let him take care of me.....Damn.... I said (in a wobbley voice cause I was getting desperate by now) that I would rather stick pins in my eyes than shop for shoes. He handed me the pin from his poppy and said your going.
So now I am mad at him....I am attempting to give him the cold shoulder, dirty looks and birds. Not working so far. Maybe no sex til thursday will make him cave.
I know my hatred for shoes shopping is irrational. But the moment I step into a shoe department my stomach starts churning, I break out into a cold sweat and I swear I get turrets. Why is always some skinny, chest flaunting, preppy little college girl that comes to help me. And there I am with my big floppy elephant feet that nothing on the girly side of the store will fit, no matter how hard she tries. And I end up buying another pair of mens hikers, not for the oh so in kaki green colour, the bright caution yellow strips up the sides and the night time reflectors on the heal but because they are the only damn thing in the store that fits.
So all you dainty little women out there lucky enough to just drop in to the shoe department at sears or the bay, or Aldo's or Payless and grab any old thing off the shelf....good for you...bitches
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
one thing grandad always told me was *you gotta have good shoes*...
he would actually buck up the $$$ for GOOD shoes...
walmart shoes while they are looking better they are not *GOOD* shoes.
Listen to your husband...spend big $ on a good pair of shoes lady!
Post a Comment